Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Random Thoughts


I make it a point to have a quiet time everyday.  It does not have to be at a regular time but anytime of the day or night that I can be by myself for at least thirty minutes.   It is during this quiet time that I usually have wonderful random thoughts; random thoughts that may be simple yet thought provoking.

Here are some of these random thoughts.
What do I really want to do and keep doing for the next five years? Studies have shown that clarity of purpose predicts how people do their jobs. When you know what you want, you become more focused and have more chances of getting what you want. Those who are not clear or not sure of what they want will mostly find their work unfulfilling. It may surprise you that most people don’t know what they want.  They think they do but when asked the question, they are lost for answers.
What is my greatest achievement? When you ask people this question, you will receive grand answers that will astound you. I built a business empire. I traveled the world. I invented the wheel.  But you know what? Man’s greatest achievement is something that is very close to heart. Winston Churchill said, "My most brilliant achievement was my ability to persuade my wife to marry me." My greatest achievement is having raised two wonderful children.
One of the hardest things to learn in life is to wait. Much of life involves waiting and many wrong decisions are made because of impatience. I remember the Stanford marshmallow experiment on delayed gratification.  These studies were conducted in the late 1960s and 1970s by Walter Mischel, a psychologist professor at Stanford University. In these studies, a child was offered a marshmallow but was told that he will get two marshmallows if he waited for about 15 minutes till the tester gets back in the room. In the follow-up studies, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for greater rewards had better life outcomes as measured by SAT scores, educational attainment and other life measures. When children are trained to wait they become more disciplined and are in better positions to succeed. This is easier said than done, but it can be learned and it must be developed.
It is extremely hard and stressful for anyone to keep trying hard to be liked. The important thing is to do good to others as if you are the “others." You can’t please everybody but can choose to be good to the less liked person.
When someone tells you, “Thats not going to make you win a popularity contest. The best response is, “I am not running for office." Say it with respect, kindness and conviction. Remember to put on a smile as you utter your response.  This will drive difficult people crazy.
Nothing quiets criticism like involvement. When people make things difficult for you, involve them in your project.  Think of creative ways to engage people; allow them to contribute so they can be part-owners of the things you do.
I suggest you have your own time for random thoughts because it will enhance your thought process, define your purpose and help you reach your goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment