Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Coming Out of Alicia Keys

Alicia Keys has come out. She is done pleasing people. In her essay, "Time to Uncover" published on Lena Dunham’s Lenny Letter, Keys talked about how everyone’s opinion of her began to affect her.

 “I started, more than ever, to become a chameleon. Never fully being who I was, but constantly changing so all the “they’s” would accept me”

Now, she is done with the pretensions. Before launching her new album, she made a list of the things she was sick of and on that list was the “constant judgement of women.” She concluded that she’s been censoring her own voice and her own self due to this constant judgement. 
According to her the process that she went through was very difficult. The realisation was painful but it was one that was necessary for change... a change for the better. 
Her journey to freedom started when a photographer convinced her to take photos without makeup; it was then that she felt the walls come down.  She felt “raw,” and found the power she’d been searching for.
She ends her essay with: “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.”
I am so happy for Keys and proud of what she has done. 
A lot of women today still suffer living to please other people. I hope Keys story gave you more courage to forget about those people and live life for yourself. Expose to the whole world the real you and you will gain more success!

No comments:

Post a Comment