Sunday, May 19, 2013

Forgive

It is human nature to be vengeful when hurt.  Our first impulse is to get back physically and through our words when we get hurt.  We think that this is a sort of self defense; that if we retaliate we will feel better and the pain will go away. We think that if we do not forgive the person who hurt us, we will cause damage or hurt the person back. But when we think deeply, we will realize that unforgiveness is detrimental to our health and it will not have any effect on the person who hurt us.
There is no question about it.  The gravity of the sufferings of single mothers causes us to feel that it is impossible to forgive.  But if we do not try and learn to forgive, how can we have a better life? How can we move on?  If we do not choose to forgive, we continue to suffer.
One of the things that motivated me to forgive is my desire to have a better life for me and my kids.  I know that my unforgiving heart will soon lead me to sickness.  And if I get sick, who will take care of my children?
The feelings of sadness, anger and hurt were causing me sleepless nights.  They were tormenting me, making me cry day and night.  I could think of nothing but the pain. Sadness, anger and hurt were doing nothing but burn inside of me giving me a cynical attitude. I realized that the only person suffering was me.  And if I don’t put a stop to this, unforgiveness will destroy me completely and my children will be gravely affected.
I realized that I have a choice. I can choose to forgive.  Forgiving will give me the opportunity to move on.  Forgiveness will give my heart a space to find freedom and light. Forgiveness will allow me to think clearly and enable me to focus on my family’s future.
When I learned to forgive, my world changed.  I became a new and better person. I became free and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment